Mt. Echigo-sanzan climbing record
For this climb Exertion Level：★★★★★ Difficulty Level：★★★☆☆ Scenic Level：★★★☆☆
For this climb
This Mountain's Information
- □ Duration：2 days and 1 night
- □ Term of Climbing：10.15.2016 ～ 10.16.2016
- □ Date at Summit： 10.16.2016
- □ Weather：Mostly Sunny
- □ Highest Temperature：25.0°C
- □ Lowest Temperature：2.0°C
- □ Distance：33.2km
- □ Cumulative Elevation：3,000m
- □ Course：From Okura parking lot to Mt. Echigo-Komagatake via Mt. Hakkaisan and Mt. Nakanodake
- □ Further Information：Around Mt. Hakkaisan, the path was extremely narrow and steep. It is better to have rock climbing experience for some points, but I think it is not necessary. After Mt. Hakkaisan, the course is not intended for begginers. It was so hard to walk because I was interrupted by so many things like tree branches, rocks, bushes; It looks a jungle. Therefore I spent much more time climbing than I expected. Going down from Mt. Echigo-Komagatake was so steep, my climbing stick broke because it wasn't strong enough to sustain my body on such a steep path.
Approach to Starting Point
- □ Transportation：Car
- □ Time to Starting Point：About 4 hours one way by car.
- □ Further Information：From Omiya to Okuramori parking lot(Sakamoto shrine) via Kanetsu highway.
Download GPS Data
I hadn’t climbed with fully equipment for a long time, but this time the weather was good so I decided to camp on the mountain with my full equipment.
Echigo-Sanzan consists of three mountains: Hakkaisan,Nakanodake and Echigo-Komagatake. It was so tough to climb these mountain. I struggled with lack of water, high temperatures and a very long course.
The highest point of the mountain is 2,085m, but I started at 250m; Furthermore there were a lot of ups and downs, so overall, I had to climb about 3,000m and the distance was over 30km. I felt I needed more strength.
I expected the temperature to be lower because of the season, but to my surprise it was like summer. I felt dizzy and nauseous because I didn't eat enough food due to dehydration. But, I survived in the end. It was my birthday, so I though this wouldn’t be the best day to die, and I managed somehow.