Mt. Yatsugatake climbing record
For this climb Exertion Level：★★★☆☆ Difficulty Level：★★★☆☆ Scenic Level：★★★★☆
For this climb
This Mountain's Information
- □ Duration：2 days and 1 night
- □ Term of Climbing：01.01.2017 ～ 01.02.2017
- □ Date at Summit： 01.02.2017
- □ Weather：Mostly Sunny
- □ Highest Temperature：3.0°C
- □ Lowest Temperature：-7.0°C
- □ Distance：17.2km
- □ Cumulative Elevation：1,500m
- □ Course：From Akadake Kosen to Gyozagoya vis Mt.Io, Mt. Yokodake, Mt. Akadake
- □ Further Information： As I advanced forward from Mt. Io to Mt. Yokodake, conditions became worse. The path became narrow, steep, icy, etc. When the wind was strong, I had to stop and maintain balance so as not to slide down. Because of the lack of snow, I could seize chains that were already set up when I climbed steeper parts. But, in this season the chain is usually hidden under the snow so it can be very difficult to climb. I was lucky!
Approach to Starting Point
- □ Transportation：Car
- □ Time to Starting Point：About 4 hours one way but I stucked by terrible traffic jam so it took about 6 hours.
- □ Further Information：From Omiya to Suwa IC via the cetral highway
Download GPS Data
It was a difficult climb to plan. The climb demands 3 days and specialist skills and equipment, especially in mid winter. Finally, this winter, the chance was came.
Unexpectedly, I found the climb easy. The weather, no wind and high temperature, made for comfortable conditions. Such good weather is rare in this region at this time. I had never had such good luck with nice weather on New Year's Day before.
This week is usually the harshest week of the Japanese winter.
After completing this climb, the only remaining mountain in Yatsugatake area is Mt. Amidake. I'll tackle it next year!