Mt. Kiso-Komagatake climbing record
For this climb Exertion Level：★★☆☆☆ Difficulty Level：★★☆☆☆ Scenic Level：★★☆☆☆
For this climb
This Mountain's Information
- □ Duration：1 Day
- □ Term of Climbing：02.12.2017 ～ 02.12.2017
- □ Date at Summit： 02.12.2017
- □ Weather：Cloudy
- □ Highest Temperature：-12.0°C
- □ Lowest Temperature：-20.0°C
- □ Distance：3.6km
- □ Cumulative Elevation：300m
- □ Course：Via Senjojiki Col
- □ Further Information：For the first hour, from Senjojiki Col, it was almost flat road so I enjoyed walking on snow without any difficulties. Gradually it was getting steep and the wind was getting stronger. I don't recommend using snowshoes because in the end we had to change our snowshoes into crampons because the roads had gotten too steep and were covered in icy snow. Furthermore, under bad situations like falling temperature and strong winds, it's not easy to change equipment. Before getting to ridge line, there are very steep roads, so I had to crawl using all of my body, it's managed using an ice ax, and no rope was needed.
Approach to Starting Point
- □ Transportation：Car
- □ Time to Starting Point：About 4 and a half hours one way by car.
- □ Further Information：From Ohmiya to Komagane IC via the central highway line.
※ I stayed at the parking lot in my car. There's a toilet with a feating system. And the price was very reasonable; it costs 600 Yen at once(The price don't count how long one stay there).
Download GPS Data
In the end, I couldn't reach the summit because of the bad weather. I found it impossible to climb under these conditions.
My face was frostbitten. It was not so serious, but the doctor said it could take up to half of year to recover and the skin might scar. I didn't use a mask made from thick fabric, it was too thin so it might have contributed to the frostbite. Important lessons were learned.